|Near Real-Time Search Tool||
S-NPP & NOAA-20:
NOAA-20: Not yet available
Aggregated and Per-File Views
Ice Surface Temperature:
Top Level Sea Ice Catalog
- North Polar (NP06) and South Polar (SP06) are Polar Stereographic projected daily composites from the 6 CoastWatch VIIRS sectors
- UZ, VZ, WZ, XZ, YZ, ZZ Northern high latitude CoastWatch VIIRS sectors (see sector map below)
- UW, VW, WU, XW, YW, ZW Southern high latitude CoastWatch VIIRS sectors (see sector map below)
Please acknowledge "NOAA CoastWatch/OceanWatch" when you use data from our site and cite the particular dataset DOI as appropriate.
VIIRS Sea Ice Concentration, Sea Ice Thickness and Ice Surface Temperature, NOAA CoastWatch/OceanWatch/PolarWatch Level 3, Daily and daily 4-day rolling merge, mapped composites are nominally at native spatial resolution (~750 m), clear sky only.
- North Polar (NP06) and South Polar (SP06) are Polar Stereographic projected daily composites
- Six Northern hemishere and six Southern hemisphere high latitude CoastWatch VIIRS sectors (see sector map below)
- North Sectors: UZ, VZ, WZ, XZ, YZ, ZZ
- South Sectors: UW, VW, WU, XW, YW, ZW
STAR Cryosphere Environmental Data Record Team Lead: Jeff Key
Sea ice age is defined as the time that has passed since the formation of the surface layer of an ice covered region of the ocean.
Sea ice concentration is the fraction of a horizontal cell covered by ice.
NDE Enterprise Ice Age/Thickness Algorithm
One-dimensional Thermodynamic Ice Model (OTIM):
- Based on the surface energy budget at thermo-equilibrium state
- Independent of historical records for ice thickness and age estimation
- Capable of retrieving daytime and nighttime sea and lake ice thickness under both clear and cloudy sky conditions
IDPS Sea Ice Concentration is an intermediate product (IP)
- Algorithm computes ice fractions based on ice and water tie points determined from VIIRS I1 (0.64 µm) and I2 (0.865 µm) reflectance and surface temperature from the VIIRS Surface Temperature IP
Enterprise Sea Ice Concentration Algorithm
- Use threshold tests to detect possible ice cover: Daytime and Nighttime
- Use a tie-point algorithm to derive reflectance (temperature) for pure ice pixel, and then calculate ice concentration
Visible and InfraRed Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) sensor aboard
Suomi NPP and NOAA-20 satellites
VIIRS: Visible and Near IR radiometry
Sea Ice Concentration, Ice Thickness, and Sea Ice Temperature
|Sample Filename|| |
|Processing Level|| |
|Spatial Coverage|| |
Sectors (see Description tab for sector map)
or Polar Stereographic (from 90 degrees to 60 degrees either N or S)
|Temporal Coverage|| |
Daily 4-day rolling merge
about 12 to 24 h
Nominal 750 m
Available in Geographic and Polar Stereographic
|Data Provider|| |
NOAA CoastWatch/OceanWatch/PolarWatch creates the Level 3 composite files from Level 2 Environmental Data Record input sourced from NOAA OSPO.
NOAA STAR Cryosphere Team (Jeff Key, Lead) developed algorithms.
NetCDF Compliant with Climate and Forecast Convention ((CF 1.4)
VIIRS, SNPP, Sea Ice, Polar Stereographic Projection
Wang, Xuanji and Key, Jeffrey R., NOAA/NESDIS Center for Satellite Applications and Research, Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document: ABI and VIIRS Ice Thickness and Age, Version 1.0, 17 December 2015.
- Ice Age ATBD (NDE), (PDF, 2.6 MB)
Liu, Yinghui and Key, Jeffrey R.,, NOAA/NESDIS Center for Satellite Applications and Research, Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document: Ice Surface Temperature, Ice Concentration, and Ice Cover, Version 1.0, 17 December 2015.
- Ice Cover ATBD (NDE), (PDF, 1.69 MB)
EDR Long Term-Monitoring