Near real time search tool for daily, global data
For direct download of daily or 3-day composites, use this link and complete the pattern for with daily or 3-day composite filename:
where yyyy = Year and ddd=day of year, and choose 1day or 3days for composite (also remove brackets and the "|" character from the string).
SMOS files are available from 1 June 2010 to present
Please acknowledge "NOAA CoastWatch/OceanWatch" when you use data from our site and cite the particular dataset DOI as appropriate.
CoastWatch/OceanWatch produces 0.25-degree longitude/latitude Level-3 gridded sea-surface salinity (SSS) daily and 3-day mean datasets by box averaging European Space Agency (ESA) Soil Moisture – Ocean Salinity (SMOS) mission’s Microwave Imaging Radiometer with Aperture Synthesis (MIRAS) satellite observations over the global ocean.
CoastWatch/OceanWatch Level-3 SSS products are generated directly from the ESA MIRAS SMOS Level-2 swath NetCDF files (currently V6.62; see release "https://earth.esa.int/documents/10174/1854503/SMOS-Level-2-Ocean-Salinity-v662-release-note" ). There are two SSS variables in V6.62 L2 NetCDF files, SSS_corr (corrected for land-sea contamination) and SSS_uncorr. The CoastWatch L3 product ingests the SSS_corr with values between 27 - 40 PSS. These products improve the application of satellite SSS products in NOAA by minimizing the data latency to within 24 hours of Level-2 data availability.
SMOS/Microwave Imaging Radiometer with Aperture Synthesis (MIRAS)
Earth Science > Oceans > Surface Salinity
|Short Name|| |
|Sample Filename|| |
3 days: SM_D2018199_Map_SATSSS_data_3days.nc
|Dataset Type|| |
|Processing Level|| |
|Spatial Coverage|| |
|Temporal Coverage|| |
1 May 2010 - current
0.25 x 0.25 longitude/latitude degree
|Swath Width|| |
|Sample Frequency|| |
|Temporal Repeat|| |
Daily and 3 days
|Orbital Period|| |
23-day repeat cycle, 3-day sub-cycle
altitude 763 km, Sun-synchronous, near-polar (6 am/ 6 pm crossing)
|Data Provider|| |
SMOS, ESA, MIRAS, satellite sea-surface salinity
- V6.62 Release Notes from ESA contains links to other SMOS SSS product documents (such as ATDB, product specs, etc.)♦
- Barcelona Expert Center (2016). SMOS-BEC Ocean and Land Products Description. BEC-SMOS-0001-PD,Version 1.5. Technical report, BEC.
- Reagan, J., T. Boyer, J. Antonov, and M. Zweng (2014), Comparison analysis between Aquarius sea surface salinity and World Ocean Database in situ analyzed sea surface salinity, J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 119, 8122–8140, doi:10.1002/2014JC009961♦.
- SMOS-BEC Team 2016: SMOS-BEC Ocean and Land Products Description. BEC-SMOS-0001-PD.pdf , version 1.5
- SMOS Team, 2014: SMOS L2 OS Input/output data definition. SO-TN-ARG-GS-009. Issue 2, Rev 25, 5 September, 2014. ARGANS.
(♦ - non-US government website)