README (NRT): ftp://ftp.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/socd2/coastwatch/sst/nrt/l3s/README.txt
README (RAN): ftp://ftp.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/socd2/coastwatch/sst/ran/l3s/README.txt
Data content description: ftp://ftp.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/socd2/coastwatch/sst/nrt/l3s/data_description.txt
*NRT - Near-Real Time data
*RAN - Reanalysis of L3S-LEO PM (Feb'2012-present) and L3S-LEO AM (Dec'2006-present). Note that reanalysis data is produced on a 8-week delay.
Please acknowledge "NOAA CoastWatch/OceanWatch" when you use data from our site and cite the particular dataset DOI as appropriate.
L3S-LEO is a multisensor super-collated gridded 0.02º resolution SST product, available from two low earth orbit (LEO) lines - AM and PM, with 9:30am/pm and 1:30am/pm equator crossing times, respectively. Both AM and PM lines are split into day-time (solar zenith angle < 90º) and night-time (solar zenith angle >= 90º) files, resulting in 4 files per day in total, which approximately cover the 24 hours diurnal cycle in 4 points.
Currently, the AM product is produced from three AVHRR FRACs (flown aboard METOP-A, B and C) and the PM product is produced from two VIIRSs (flown aboard NPP and N20). Adding MODIS-Terra to the AM line, and MODIS-Aqua to the PM line may be explored in the future.
L3S-LEO data are provided in GHRSST Data Specification v2 (GDS2) NetCDF format, as L3S (gridded, super-collated, 0.02º). We plan to create an L3S-GEO line, and eventually consolidate the L3S-LEO and L3S-GEO into one sensor-agnostic L3S SST product.
Note that the ACSPO L3S product provided here is experimental. Both the product, and its documentation, are currently in development and subject to change. Please contact the CoastWatch helpdesk with any questions.
Afternoon (PM): NPP, N20 / VIIRS
Measurement Oceans > Sea Surface Temperature > subskin SST
|Short Name|| |
|Sample Filename|| |
|Dataset Type|| |
|Processing Level|| |
|Spatial Coverage|| |
|Temporal Coverage|| |
The data does not have a specific expiration date after which it is removed, but keep in mind that this is not a long term archive.
|Swath Width|| |
|Sample Frequency|| |
|Temporal Repeat|| |
|Orbital Period|| |
|Data Provider|| |
Creator: NOAA STAR
NOAA, NPP, N20, S-NPP, NOAA-20, METOP-A, METOP-B, METOP-C, JPSS, VIIRS, AVHRR, FRAC, ACSPO, sea surface temperature, SST, L3S, multisensor
- Jonasson, O., I. Gladkova, A. Ignatov, Y. Kihai, 2020: Progress With Development of Global Gridded Super-Collated SST Products from Low Earth Orbiting Satellites (L3S-LEO) at NOAA. Proc. SPIE 11420, Ocean Sensing and Monitoring XII, 1142002; doi:10.1117/12.2551819, [pdf paper 8.5Mb (link)], [mp4 presentation 335Mb (link)], [ppt presentation 5.8Mb (link)].
- Gladkova, I., A. Ignatov, Y. Kihai, M. Pennybacker, 2019: Towards high-resolution multi-sensor gridded ACSPO SST product: reducing residual cloud contamination. Proc. SPIE 11014, Ocean Sensing and Monitoring XI, 110140L; doi:10.1117/12.2518462, [pdf paper 11.9Mb (link)], [ppt presentation 16.1Mb (link)].
- Gladkova, I., A. Ignatov, M. Pennybacker, Y. Kihai, 2019: Towards High-Resolution Multi-Sensor Gridded ACSPO L3S SST Product. GHRSTT XX: Science Team Meeting, June 2019, Frascati, Italy [ppt presentation 19.4 Mb (link)].
- SQUAM: Dash, P., A. Ignatov, Y. Kihai, J. Sapper, 2010: The SST Quality Monitor (SQUAM). JTech, 27, 1899-1917, doi:10.1175/2010JTECHO756.1.
- iQuam: Xu, F., A. Ignatov, 2014: In situ SST Quality Monitor (iQuam). JTech, 31, 164-180, doi:10.1175/JTECH-D-13-00121.1.
- ARMS: Ding, Y., A. Ignatov, K. He, I. Gladkova, 2018: ACSPO Regional Monitor for SST (ARMS). GHRSTT XIX: Science Team Meeting, June 2018, Darmstadt, Germany [ppt presentation 21.5Mb (link)].
- MICROS: Liang, X., A. Ignatov, 2011: Monitoring of IR Clear-sky Radiances over Oceans for SST (MICROS). JTech, 28, 1228-1242, doi:10.1175/JTECH-D-10-05023.1.