CoastWatch Utilities 3.4.0
The CoastWatch Utilities is a set of software tools for viewing, analyzing, and converting CoastWatch satellite image data files.
Table of Contents
The CoastWatch Utilities let users work with earth science data created by NOAA CoastWatch / OceanWatch. Users can easily view and convert data in various formats: HDF 4, NOAA 1b, and NetCDF 4. The software has both interactive and batch processing tools. The functionality includes:
Information and Statistics - File contents, statistics computations on variables (for example min, max, mean, standard deviation), direct access to raw file and variable attributes.
Data Processing - Data format conversions, compositing, generic variable math, data sampling.
Graphics and Visualization - Interactive visualization/analysis, batch image rendering, ancillary graphics creation such as data coverage maps, grids, coastlines, land masks.
Registration and Navigation - Resampling of data from one projection to another, interactive generation of region masters, manual and automatic navigational correction, computation of solar and earth location angles.
Network - Data download and server status.
The CoastWatch Utilities are available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.
New in Version 3.4.0(Replaces version 3.3.2 b2299)
- CDAT has a new menu item Open Recent under the File menu, with a list of recently opened files for quick access.
- CDAT has new items in the View menu for controlling the data view, copying the view zoom between tabs, and showing/hiding the top toolbar and left-side control tabs.
- Tabs in CDAT now have a close button (x) built into the tab.
- Documentation for CDAT now includes instructions on setting memory limits in the user preferences.
- The cwmath tool has been largely re-written to improve performance. The tool now processes 2D chunks of data rather than individual rows, and uses a new Java Language math expression syntax. An emulation parser mode supports legacy expressions. New options can be used to fully take advantage of the performance increase and specify a greater variety of output variable types without having to use a template variable: --scale none, --skip-missing, --missing, --parser, and --size int/uint/long/ulong/double.
- The cwrender tool now has a --font option to set the legend and overlay font and a --font-list option to list system-specific fonts available.
- The user’s guide now has a section on hidden command line options for the command line tools (after the tool manual pages), to be used for performance tuning.
Command Line Tools
See the User's Guide Appendix G for a list of major updates and bug fixes.
The following are screenshots from the CoastWatch Data Analysis Tool (CDAT):
Download the packages below. For help with installation, consult the Installation Notes section of the User's Guide. Please submit errors or bug reports to email@example.com. A MD5 checksum for the packages listed below is provided: md5sum
("novm" version does not include a bundled JRE and uses the system Java)
- CoastWatch Data Analysis Tool Demo♦
- CoastWatch Software Library and Utilities User’s Guide Version 3.4.0
- Encoding CoastWatch Satellite Data in NetCDF using the CF Metadata Conventions
- Comparison of Metadata Standards
The CoastWatch Utilities♦, presented at the CoastWatch/OceanWatch/PolarWatch Annual Meeting, July/August 2017, Santa Cruz, California. Topics covered: historical data products/distribution/software, software development process and functionality, packages available, latest beta version. (cw_utilities_2017.pdf)
CDAT Demo Annual Meeting♦, topics covered include: software distribution page, opening data files, enhancement & palettes, overlays, surveys, masking, full screen mode, export to PNG and PDF.
The CoastWatch Utilities♦, presented at the CoastWatch/OceanWatch Meeting, January 2016, Miami, Florida. Topics covered: current software functionality and packages, development history, code architecture, and in-progress features. ( cw_utilities_2016.pdf)
CoastWatch Data Analysis Tool: Software Design Review, presented to the CoastWatch Program Manager, central operations team, and node operations managers, January 2008. Topics covered: proposed software design including simplified user interface, data aggregation, 4D-aware interface, tile mode and animation support, and geographic feature support.
The CoastWatch Data Analysis Tool: Status and Future, presented at the CoastWatch Node Managers Meeting, August 2008, Victoria, BC. Topics covered: history of CDAT and its ongoing development, new features in release 3.2.2, current user stats, future release ideas.
The CoastWatch Utilities: Ten Years in the Making, presented at the CoastWatch Operations Managers Meeting, June 2007, Annapolis, Maryland. Topics covered: General information about the utilities, features and statistics for the current release (3.2.1), ideas for future releases.
Ad-hoc Processing with the CoastWatch Utilities, presented at the CoastWatch Operations Managers Meeting, June 2007, Annapolis, Maryland. Topics covered: Extracting information from data files (metadata, statistics, sampling), data processing (reprojection, math), custom code (data interfaces, file interfaces).
CoastWatch Data in Google Earth: A How-to Guide, presented at the CoastWatch Operations Managers Meeting, June 2007, Annapolis, Maryland. Topics covered: Google Earth features in comparison to CDAT, preparing data images and markup code, demonstration with AVHRR swath and GOES SST data.
The CoastWatch Utilities Version 3.2: CoastWatch Data Made Easy, presented at the CoastWatch Node Managers Meeting, October 2005, Pacific Grove, California. Topics covered: Common tasks performed by the utilities, types of documentation available, details on software development (requirements and users), demonstration (not included).
The CoastWatch Utilities Version 3, presented at the CoastWatch Node Managers Meeting, October 2003, Glen Arbor, Michigan. Topics covered: Software requirements (website, research, product development), implementation details (survey of all utilities), future work to be done.
The CoastWatch Data Analysis Tool, presented at the CoastWatch Node Managers Meeting, October 2003, Glen Arbor, Michigan. Topics covered: Target user groups, functionality (data import/export, display, annotation, statistics, preferences), demonstration (not included), future work to be done.
(♦ - non-government website)